LED Light Strip
LED light strip is a piece of lighting equipment consisting of LED lights mounted on a flexible circuit board. These strips are typically used for backlighting or accent lighting, attached to various objects or surfaces with 3M double-faced adhesive tape.
The lighting source comprises LEDs that have been around for quite some time now and are widely accepted as a better energy-saving alternative to incandescent and fluorescent lamps. They are unique because they emit light in a specific direction through an electronic device called a “light-emitting diode” (LED). The intensity of the light depends on the electric current flowing through the semiconducting material.
How to install LED light strip?
As we know, LED light strip has been a great decorating tool for so many years. And more and more people choose to have it in their life because of its high quality and beautiful appearance.
In this article, you will get the best 12 solutions to installing a led light strip. You can follow these steps below or read the whole article carefully before starting to do something.
1. Order Light Fixture
The first thing you need to do is order the led light fixture. The fixture you use to mount your lights; otherwise, they will be hard to install on any smooth surface. So call one that comes with adhesive solid backings or brackets that allow you to attach them for maximum performance securely.
2. Clean the Surface
The next thing you need to do is clean the surface for mounting. Make sure the feeling is strong, smooth, and clean enough for your new light strips. It will make them more secure when they are being mounted or attached to it. And you can use alcohol or any other related products that are available in most stores nearby.
3. Mount the Strips and Connect Them with Power Source
Make sure your led light strips are all connected with one power source. Or else they will not work correctly because each of them has its controller box, so you will have difficulty attaching them if they originate from different power sources. Then press the adhesive backing firmly on the mounting location, pull off any plastic covering protecting the adhesive, plug in the lights, and make sure they are turned on.
4. Connect the Lights with Controller Box
If you want to dim the LEDs or any other function, you need to connect them with the controller box. That makes it possible for your light strips to do different things like change color, set up different speeds of blinking, etc. It is not too difficult to plug them in but make sure you know exactly where each wire goes when doing the work.
5. Never Store Your Light Strings Together
This will be a big mistake if you always store your light strings together because it may cause one to stop working after some time. And there is no way for you to out which series stops working until there is no light at all. So it would be best if you stored them separately with each controller box to avoid being damaged or messed up with one another.
6. Test the Lights after Installation
This is a significant step that most people forget about when installing LED light strips. You need to test the lights right after installation because they are not working until you plug them in. And this is how you determine if every single one of your LEDs still works appropriately or there is something wrong with any of them during the work just finished, so you should check everything before closing the job and being satisfied with it.
7. Add Some Additional Decorations and Finishing Touches
Some additional decorations and finishing touches are also great for making your led light strips look brighter and more beautiful. You need to add some more decorations on them by adding a string of white lights around the edges, putting some sort of diffuser cover over them, or even painting a pattern on top of them to create a unique look that stands out from any other ordinary decoration you have at home.
8. Do Not Touch the Lights If They Are Working
This is highly recommended if you want to keep your led light strip in good condition. And touching the lights while they are working may cause one to stop working because there is an electrical current running through it very quickly. So make sure you turn off all the lights before doing anything with your LED light strips.
9. Avoid Using Extension Cords
It might be a good idea to keep one or two extension cords around the house just in case you realize that your LED light strip is not long enough for the room you want to place it, but using too many of them will be very dangerous because it may cause a fire hazard. And make sure all extension cords are rated adequately with suitable power carrying capacity.
10. Connect the Lights To An Automated Timer
It also saves you from potential danger if you can connect your led lights with an automated timer. That is how you prevent overcharging and overheating by turning them off automatically when they have been running for a certain amount of time, which prevents damages that may occur from overworking the lights for too long.
11. Use Light Strips for Accent Lighting, Not General Lighting
Using LED light strips for accent lighting is better than regular lighting because they are brighter and more colorful than standard lights used for general lighting. You can even create your customized mood lighting with different settings for different activities in the room like watching TV, reading books, playing games, or anything else, which will come in very handy if you have to do some stuff that requires much attention like studying or brainstorming something noteworthy at work.
12. Avoid Using Them with Fluorescent Bulbs
If you want to use led light strips, it would not be a good idea to use them in combination with fluorescent bulbs because one of them may stop working if there is a defect in either the strip or the bulb, which affects the intensity of light produced by both of them. And this may cause an electrical short circuit if you are not careful enough about it.
Where to buy LED light strips?
You can buy LED light strips online very easily nowadays because there are so many stores available offering different color options with unique designs for your specific preference without having to go out and search through countless stores trying to find the best look that fits nicely at home.
The only things you need to do are decide what exactly you want to have put up at home, check different online stores for offers or deals that may interest you, then choose one that has all of them along with affordable price tags attached.
Advantages of LED Light Strips
- Energy Efficiency: LED light strips are highly energy-efficient, using up to 80% less energy than traditional incandescent bulbs.
- Long Lifespan: LED light strips have a longer lifespan than traditional bulbs, typically lasting up to 50,000 hours.
- Versatility: LED light strips are highly versatile, with many options for color, brightness, and even color-changing modes.
- Easy to Install: LED light strips are easy to install and can be cut to fit any space or surface.
- Durability: LED light strips are highly durable and resistant to shock and vibration, making them ideal for use in various applications.
Disadvantages of LED Light Strips
- Initial Cost: LED light strips can be more expensive to purchase than traditional bulbs, which may make them less accessible to some consumers.
- Heat: LED light strips can generate heat, which can cause damage to the strips if not properly managed.
- Limited Dimming: Some LED light strips may not be fully dimmable, limiting their versatility for certain applications.
- Color Consistency: The color of LED light strips may vary slightly between batches, making it difficult to achieve a consistent look if multiple strips are used.
- Recycling: LED light strips can be difficult to recycle, which can concern environmentally conscious consumers.
With LED strip lights, you can add strong lighting in various colors and brightness to almost anywhere you need powerful lighting. It can bend LED strip lights in any direction up to 90 degrees and are flexible.